The hemorrhoids are vascular structures located in the anal canal and help in controlling stool. These veins can either become swollen or inflamed in the anal or rectum region creating a very painful region. There are basically two kinds of hemorrhoids conditions: internal condition that is less painful and often indicated by bloody stool while external hemorrhoids are more common and often characterized by severe pain.
There are a number of hemorrhoids treatment options available in the market such as:
- Over the counter corticosteroid creams that assist in reducing swelling and pain
- Hemorrhoid creams that come with lidacaine to assist in reducing the level of pain experienced
- The stool softeners can also be utilized to suppress constipation and straining
There are also a number of natural treatment methods that can be used in treatment of the condition. Some herbs such as witch hazel have ability of lowering the itching effect drastically. The herb extracts can be purchased in the local drug stores or even the natural herbs liquid can be extracted and applied on the hemorrhoids to suppress pain level.
You can also use homeopathic treatment methods to suppress the condition. Examples of homeopathic methods that can be used to suppress itching effects resulting from hemorrhoids include refraining from scratching the itching area, wearing cotton undergarments and avoiding toilet tissues with colors and perfumes. Use baby wipes instead.
Sitting in warm water for a period of 15 minutes can help to ease the pain. If you have no bath tub, place a towel in warm water and use it as a compression. This increases the blood flow thereby easing pain. A cold compression can also be used to numb the nerves in the affected region.
This condition occurs when several veins in the lower rectum are inflamed or swollen. Hemorrhoids are classified as internal if they occur above dentate line. Particularly, they are vein varicosities draining the superior rectal arteries branches. Since the internal hemorrhoids are mainly not painful, several people are not aware they have them. However, these hemorrhoids can bleed when irritated. When the condition is left untreated, it can escalate into strangulated and prolapsed hemorrhoids. Prolapsed internal hemorrhoids refers to a condition whereby the inflamed region is so distended to the extent that it hangs outside the anus. When anal sphincter muscle experiences spasm and traps the prolapsed hemorrhoid outside anal opening, blood supply is distracted; thereby, resulting in strangulated hemorrhoid.
The internal hemorrhoids can further be categorized into:
- Grade I- no prolapsed
- Grade II – prolapsed occur after defecation but retract soon afterwards
- Grade III – prolapsed occurs after defecation and requires being reduced manually
- Grade IV – prolapsed and cannot be restored manually
These hemorrhoids are found beneath dentate lines. Some external hemorrhoids can be concealed from view especially if they affect varicosities of veins that drain the inferior rectal arteries territories that branches interior prudential artery. They are occasionally painful and often accompanied by irritation and swelling. Skin irritation is also attributed to inflammation brought about by swelling caused by the hemorrhoids and a little noticeable water discharge. Patients suffering from the condition are vulnerable to thrombosis since the veins can rupture resulting to blood clots.
How to treat hemorrhoids – Get Rid Of Hemorrhoids NOW!
The fact that there are a lot of people who are affected by hemorrhoids; there are a number of methods that can be used in treatment of the condition ranging from homeopathic, over-the-counter drugs, prescription drugs, natural methods and surgical procedures. Here are the main home treatment methods that can be used in treatment of these conditions:
Fiber content: Increasing the amount of fiber supplement in your food such as fiber con, Metamucil, Citrucel, etc and taking adequate fluids helps in softening stool thereby easing the pressure created in the hemorrhoids. Beans, broccoli, wheat, fresh fruits, oat bran and whole-grain foods, just to mention a few, are samples of high fiber foods. Start taking these diets gradually and then increase them over time.
Exercise: Modest aerobic exercising like brisk walking for 20-30 minutes daily can help in stimulating bowel functions.
Take time: The moment you feel the urge to relieve yourself, go immediately instead of waiting for a convenient time. Accumulation of stool in the body leads to increased pressure in the bowels which can in turn cause strain to the hemorrhoids. Set particular specific time for emptying the bowels too.
Sitz: This refers to a warm water bath for hips and buttocks. It helps in relieving spasms, itching and irritation of sphincter muscles. There are toilet seats available in pharmacies that you can seat on to help in relieving the pain. Allow a period of up to 20 minutes after every bowel movement.
Topical relief: There are several creams and suppositories sold over the counter that can help in relieving hemorrhoids pain. Many of these topical herbs have local anesthetics that help in suppressing the level of pain experienced. Nonetheless, topical agents should be used with a lot of caution since some of them may have adverse effects such as causing skin to atrophy. Sitting on soft surfaces instead of hard surfaces can also help in effective suppression of hemorrhoids.
Treating clots: When external hemorrhoid creates blood clot, searing pain results. Home treatment methods can be applied to eliminate the clots. For clots that are newly formed, they can be removed though a minor operation by a surgeon.
Additional methods for treating the condition include:
- Surgery: Mainly used in treating internal hemorrhoids that are extremely severe like grade 3 and 4
- Sclerotherapy (injections): It is mainly used in treating grade 2 and 3 hemorrhoids. The method involves injecting liquid in the inflamed tissue in the anus to numb the nerves as well as harden it to avoid scarring
- Corticosteroids: Creams composed of corticosteroids are prescribed to help in reducing inflammation in the anus. The creams should not be used for more than a week since they make anus skin thinner
What causes hemorrhoids?
There are several reasons that can cause hemorrhoids particularly after child birth and in gestation period. The condition results from enhanced pressure in anus and veins. Nonetheless, the major cause of the condition is strained bowel movements. Additional reasons include:
- Anal infections
- Certain health conditions like cirrhosis
- Sitting for extended periods
- Low fiber and high-fat diet
- Anal intercourse
- Chronic diarrhea or constipation
Although many people are capable of treating hemorrhoids using simple methods, there are some exceptional cases where surgical methods require being used. These situations include when you are suffering from:
- Extremely painful hemorrhoids
- Thrombosed hemorrhoids
- Prolapsed hemorrhoids
The main hemorrhoids surgical procedures used include:
- Baron litigation (Rubber band litigation): Rubber bands are used to cut blood supply to the hemorrhoids making them to wither off after a few days
- Sclerotherapy: A hardening agent that makes wall to collapse is injected in the affected tissue. Collapsing of the walls make hemorrhoids to shrink
- Galvanic electrotherapy (hemorrhoidolysis): Electric current is applied to help in desiccation of hemorrhoids
- Cryosurgery: Although rarely used due to side effects, frozen tip of cryoprobe is applied in destruction of the tissues
- BICAP, Laser, infrared or radiofrequency coagulation: affected tissues cauterized using electricity, infrared beam or laser (rarely used). Infrared coagulation has similar efficiency t band litigation to control of hemorrhoids of up to grade 3
- Hemorrhoidectomy: This surgical method excises hemorrhoids through operation. It has been attributed with severe pain in the recovery and incontinence later in life. It is only suitable when used for Grade IV hemorrhoids
- Transanal Hemorrhoidal Dearterialisation (THD): Works just like HAL but safer, less painful and requires less recovery period since it is more standadisable
- Stapled hemorrhoidectomy: This procedure interrupts blood flowing to hemorrhoids
- Doppler Guided Hemorrhoidal Artery Ligation / HAL-RAR: This is the safest and only evidence based surgical procedure that has been proven to function effectively. It has ability of eliminating bleeding conditions effectively.
- Symptoms of hemorrhoids
- Bleeding, itching and rectal pain during bowel movement
- Development of hard painful lumps in the anus
- Bloody stool
- Anal discomfort
- Change in bowel habits
- Burning feeling
Hemorrhoids during pregnancy
As the uterus develops, it enhances the pressure created on the inferior vena cava (a large vein that drains lower limbs) and pelvic veins. This in turn distracts effective back flow of blood which in turn builds pressure on the veins beneath the uterus making them to swell or become dilated.
Constipation is also common in pregnancy and leads aggravation of the hemorrhoids. The strained bowel movement caused by constipation enhances development of the condition.
Besides, enhanced production of the progesterone hormone during gestation period makes the vein walls to relax making them more vulnerable to inflammation. Progesterone has also been attributed with aggravating constipation via slowing down the intestinal tract.